Friday, July 6, 2007

Ram Krishna & Aloha Pure Veg Restaurants

It has been a busy month for me, so have not updated the blog. But, did manage to visit a few places in the past month. But since, I am not good at remembering what I ate 2 weeks to 1 month back back, I will keep the reviews short,crisp and simple.

Ram Krishna Restaurant (Opp Westend Theatre)
ph: 26363938, 26330724
This is one of the landmark places in the city for veg food lovers. Situated opposite Westend Theatre, next to Magnum Mall, the place is huge. I mean, the seating capacity would be close to 200 persons. And as usual, a huge waiting queue, especially on the weekends. The food is great, ambience lovely, service fast.menu is typically Punjabi, Chinese mix. What stands out is the quality and taste. Never too oily, and not too spicy. We ordered Paneer Pasanda, Dal Fry and some kind of mix vegetable, along with Tandoori Rotis and Naans. All of it was great. Must visit again.
And to top it all, very reasonable. A meal for 6 came to about 600, including a plate of hot Gulab Jamuns per head.!!

Aloha ( Senapati Bapat Road)
ph: 25663244, 65230784
This is one joint I have visited many times but failed to mention it in my review. Waiting for an oppurtune moment. But now, that moment has come and gone, since i dont remember much details of the last visit !.
This is a multi-cuisine, pure veg restaurant, located opposite and close to Chaturshringi Temple on SB Road. (I am told, Aloha means Hello in Hawai !). A much favoured joint, by mostly the IT junta located in the vicinity. But, beware of the limited parking in front of the place and tow-away areas near-by.

Personally, I visit the place mainly for their Mexican Food and Italian Pasta. The Mexican Enchiladas, Nachos with cheese sauce and Quesadilla are simply superb. I think, there is a Burritto Supreme also, but my memory fails me. In Pasta, though the option are limited, but Pasta in Bolognese sauce is always tempting. Though, I would avoid the option with Pesto Sauce. The option with Alfredo sauce is so-so, you can try it only if you have tasted it before somewhere and liked it.
One thing that I always recommend is the Tomamto Soup with Cilantro. I know its just a tomato soup, but it is refreshing here and different. Also try the Mexican Bean Soup, which is a bit spicy tomato soup with beans floating.

They also have menu choices of Sizzlers, Chinese, Salads, Pizza and of course, Indian. I did try some of it, something called Sham-Savera, a mix of two gravies, spinach and tomato, but seperate. So, even their Indian choices are decent.

Over all, I have always found the food great. Ambience is ok, nothing great. Service is a bit slow, though. But, all of it makes up for the food.

Costwise, The Pastas are in range of Rs. 130-150. Mexican dishes between 70-90. Indian between 60-90. So, a decent meal for 2 should be in a range of Rs. 300-400.

6 comments:

Jyotsna said...

Hi,am new to pune and we are a family of foodies.Pls do let me know if there are any "authentic" south indian restaurants in Pune.I dont mean the Udipi style which serves sweet sambhar but the typical south indian ..even places that serve the banana leaf meal or thali.
your blog is most interesting..have saved it for futre reading.for newbies to pune like me it is a big help! thanks.
Jyotsna

Rohit said...

Hi Jyotsna,
Thanks for visiting my blog and your valuable comments and encouragement.
The issue of authentic south indian food is most interesting because wherever I have eaten, it has usually come with the "sweet sambhar". Though, I love South Indian food, but i will not be able to point out any particular one. Since, you are also a foodie, I will advise you to purchase Times Food Guide, the review is on this blog. Its worthwhile and maybe you can something useful regarding South Indian meals. All the best and thanks again,

Rohit

ashishchandorkar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi... I totally agree about both the restaurants! You have given all the details - right from the phone number to approximate cost. Along with description, can you rate the restaurants... As in, Ramkrishna - 4.5/5
Aloha - 3.5/5

Shri said...

Hello this is Shree for pune. There is a pure veg restuarant in katraj named Sanman pure veg. If you people want a quality and tasty food in veg, Sanman is the right choice. Sanman located Opp JSPM instittute at bypass chowk, Katraj.

shubham said...

very nice blog with good information I have also like that blog if you want to read so click here Veg Restaurants in NSP Pitampura